Friday, April 10, 2015

ZZZZZZZ......

Sleeping! Everyone's favorite topic! Let me start by saying, I love sleep. When I was younger, I was an early riser, ALWAYS. As I've gotten older and began to stay up later (with homework, jobs, etc.), I love to sleep in. My dad has always been an early riser, while my brother and my mom have always been the late sleepers. With my dad being an early riser, he is also a heavy sleeper. My brother is a heavy sleeper too. My mom, on the other hand, is a very light sleeper, and I think that has something to do with being a mom, too. 

The sleeping brain has always interested me. Why do we have certain dreams that we are just on the cusp of remembering? Why do we sometimes have that falling feeling right before going into deep sleep? What really is REM sleep? Are there different stages or are we just asleep or awake?
Let me start by explaining: there is a particular sleep cycle that we all circulate through several times a night. There are different stages: 1, 2, 3, and REM sleep. 

Stage 1 sleep: this first stage is when a person's eyes are closed, but they are just on the verge of sleep. It is very easy to wake people who are in this stage. This is also often the stage that when they are awoken, people say that they were never asleep. 
EXAMPLE: I've just gone to bed. It's very early in the evening; an odd time for me to be sleeping. My brother burst into my room as I quickly open my eyes. He asks me, "Were you sleeping?" I answer, "No, I was just resting my eyes. I was still awake."

Stage 2 sleep: this stage is when a body starts to recognize sleep. The body starts to relax; body temperature drops and your heart rate slows. The body is in very light sleep mode. 
EXAMPLE: I've gone to bed at the normal time that I usually do, about 10:30 pm. I worked out earlier in the evening so I'm very tired. I fall asleep with no problem, but just as I can feel myself drifting, I start to have a vivid dream about something silly. In the dream, I'm at my job, carrying a tray of food. I trip and feel like I'm falling, falling, falling...until I jerk awake in my bed, heart racing, sweating, breathing heavy. I have just had a hypnic jerk, or an involuntary sleep twitch. 

Stage 3 sleep: This stage is where you begin to register deep sleep. You are inching closer to REM sleep. It is much harder to wake someone in stage 3 rather than stage 1 or 2 sleep. 
EXAMPLE: I’ve been asleep for a little over an hour. As she is watching the news, my mom remembers that she forgot to ask me for a ride to work in the morning. She comes into my room and says my name several times with no response from me. She decides to shake me to wake me up. With one little jerk on my arm, I’m awake, but disorientated. I hear and see my mom talking to me, but I’m not quite following. After a few minutes, I’m more awake and able to communicate with her.

*Stage 4 sleep: a little deeper than stage 3, right before and leading into REM

REM sleep: This is the deepest stage of sleep. One has to go through the other stages to get to this stage. Each full sleep cycle can last anywhere from 90-110 minutes. Each REM stage will get a little longer each time. The first REM stage will last a short amount of time, with the next ones getting progressively longer (the final one typically lasts about an hour). At this stage, your body evens out its rates and breathing. In stage 2, your breathing and heart rate tend to slow down, but in this stage, they will regain the normal rhythm. It is also at this stage where your body rejuvenates. Tissue growth and repair, bone and muscle building, and immune system strengthening all take place during this stage.

If you’re someone with kids who are old enough to articulate and understand how they slept in previous nights, see how they feel in the morning compared to yourself. I’ve noticed that as I’ve gotten older (and my parents too), I feel more tired than I used to when I was younger. My mom especially seems to get less deep sleep and be more tired in the mornings when she gets up. It has been proven that as one ages, it is more common to get less deep sleep and be awoken a lot easier. One still needs just as much sleep, but it is less likely that the older adult will get the sleep that they need.
The best thing you can do to maximize sleeping for yourself is to stay on a schedule. Do not go to bed at 10:00 pm one night and 1:30 am the night. Do not look at your phone right before bed or during the night. Do a relaxing activity 30 minutes before going to bed, like reading or knitting. Happy sleeping! Check out my next blog on sleepwalking and other disorders!

References:


 Stages of Sleep. (n.d.). Retrieved April 11, 2015, from http://www.sleepdex.org/stages.htm

Robinson, J. (Ed.). (n.d.). Stages of Sleep: REM and Non-REM Sleep Cycles. Retrieved April 11, 2015, from http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/sleep-101

No comments:

Post a Comment