Friday, April 24, 2015

You may only need three things to be smart?

This is a triangle, yes? OK, good, got that covered. 
WELL, today is going to be about about shapes! Not just any shapes, but triangles! Not even triangles plural, but one triangle in particular: Sternberg's TRIARCHIC Theory!! Sounds fun, right? If I haven't mentioned, this particular post (and one or two after this) are going to revolve around intelligence and creativity.

Let's talk about Sternberg for a minute. Robert Sternberg is an American psychologist and professor whose focus is mainly on creativity and intelligence. Sternberg created a theory called the Triarchic Theory that has three intelligences that Sternberg sees as necessary tools of success. The three intelligences are as follows:

Analytical








                                  Creative                                                                Practical






The first intelligence is analytical thinking. With this type of thinking, we often see and hear IQ scores and academic tests. This is the intelligence that is often focused on in schools. This intelligence is also seen as problem-solving. Such as in the picture above, the student is focused on solving what appears to be a chemical formula. High schoolers use this thinking (or should be using this thinking) when they complete important tests such as the ACT, SAT, and/or college placement tests.

Creativity!!! Creativity is the second intelligence I want to talk about. In the past year, my creative ability and intellect has grown tremendously. These are two of my paintings pictured above. No, they're not perfect, but they were two of my first ever paintings. When I was younger, I had no artistic ability whatsoever. I could barely draw a heart, much less Tinkerbell (picture on the left). When I got older, I don't know what happened, something just clicked. I have a huge interest now in painting. I can't get enough canvases, brushes, paints, and inspiration. With my way of thinking right now, this is what Sternberg would call creative intelligence. Creative intelligence isn't just painting. It's having an open mind, being able to come up with new ideas and being innovative. Creative intelligence also focuses on imagination. People with a strong creative intelligence may say or think things such as, "I wonder if...", "Suppose that..", or "Imagine if..." Creative intellects are often predicting or dreaming about what could be or what could have been.





The third intelligence that Sternberg proposes in his triarchic theory is the practical aspect. This is the "daily life" way of thinking. One thing I think of when I hear the term practical is a to-do list or an agenda. I have always seen myself as a practical thinker. I love having a to-do list and being able to mark things off as officially done. Right now as I prepare for finals, I have a to-do list of several things in my agenda that need to get done by certain days. Other aspects of practical thinking include the ability to read other people's body language and emotions, being a director and motivator of people, and giving out and completing jobs and responsibilities. Where I work, every night, we have a three-page long "Cleaning List" that needs to be done before we workers leave at the end of the night. Each task that is completed needs to be initialed by the person who finished the job. Because of my practical way of thinking, this marking off of tasks give me a little sense of happiness as I see the list slowly start to diminish.


As Sternberg states, there is more to success than just intelligence. These three types are essential in being successful and happy. I feel that I personally have a good mix of all of these in my personality. I would say that I am a strong practical intellect, followed by a good mix of analytical and creative intelligence.

Well, that's all I've got! Next time, we'll be talking more about different types of intelligences, and specifically Howard Gardner. Thanks for reading!

References (for pictures)
Triangle. (n.d.). Retrieved April 25, 2015, from http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/triangle
Burnham, J. (2011, December 6). 7 Practical Steps to Get Started with Security Intelligence. Retrieved April 25, 2015, from http://securityintelligence.com/7-practical-steps-to-get-started-with-security-intelligence/#.VTsNFqaprzI
Practical strategies series. (n.d.). Retrieved April 25, 2015, from http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/institute-academic-development/learning-teaching/staff/courses-events/practical
Attlas. (n.d.). Retrieved April 25, 2015, from http://www.attlas.ie


No comments:

Post a Comment